Whilst time on the road can be hectic, I’m looking forward to the opportunity to do a lot more reading for pleasure (more than previously, while having to do academic reading for work).
So what’s on the list?
Well there’s the obvious travel guides to help us avoid pitfalls and missing interesting sights.
In addition, I’m looking for country/continent specific literary classics (fiction, biography, etc.) to help me get under the skin of each place as we visit.
This list will evolve alongside our journey, but if you have any suggestions for the places marked with question marks they’d always be welcome.
- India – Shantaram by Sleeping on Jupiter by
- Nepal – Palpasa Café by Narayan Wagle
- China – Undress Me in the Temple of Heaven by
- Japan – Shogun by James Clavell, Norwegian Wood by Haruki Murakami
- Australia – My Brilliant Career by Miles Franklin
- New Zealand?
- Tahiti – Mister Pip by
- California – The Glass Castle by
- Costa Rica?
- Panama – Canal Dreams by Ian Banks
- Brazil – State of Wonder by
- Lastly, readings for sheer escapism….
- The Vegetarian – Han Kang
- Hot Milk – Deborah Levy
- Early One Morning by
- The Sense of an Ending by
- The Kindness by